Monday, November 10, 2008

Week 4 Thing #8

Assignment: 1. Learn about the difference between RSS feed readers, Bloglines, and Google Reader. 2. Create a free "RSS aggregator" account from either Bloglines or Google Reader and subscribe to at least 5 newsfeeds to your reader. 3. Create a post about this exercise.
I think RSS is amazing. And, it seems so simple I have to suspect whether or not it is legitimate. How can something so beneficial be so free and easy to use? Is there a difference between newsreaders, newsfeeds and the old method of just letting magazines pile up on my desk? I'm a librarian! -- I hate to admit to not finding enough time to read. But I had to laugh when I read BiblioTechie's comment. It's just the truth!
I created a Bloglines account first. Then I saw that my WorkinProgress blog gives me the option to import feeds from Google Reader to my Dashboard. (yet more evidence that Mr. Potato Head might be a better reader than I am -- sigh) So I created a Google Reader account. I have a Yahoo page, but enough is enough! And I might end up changing my mind about that because what I like about newsreaders is that I only have to go looking for the feeds once. After that they come to me wherever I choose to have them delivered. The URL for my public bloglines account is:
http://www.bloglines.com/public/WorkinProgress@yourlibrary

No comments: